LifeAshleyComment

Horrifying Video Shows Teen Jumping to His Death in Snapchat Stunt Gone Wrong

LifeAshleyComment
Horrifying Video Shows Teen Jumping to His Death in Snapchat Stunt Gone Wrong

Last month, 17-year-old teen Jonathan Chow fell to his death after a Snapchat stunt went horribly wrong.

According to his friend Ruth, who was filming the stunt, Chow decided to jump over a rail in a Singapore mall and land on a ledge that he believed was made of concrete. The ledge was actually made of plasterboard, and could not support his weight; Chow ended up falling four floors.

"We both thought the ledge was made of concrete, but when he jumped, he fell straight through," Ruth told a local outlet TODAY. "I knew it was dangerous, but before I could stop him, he already jumped over."

In security camera footage, you can see Ruth's shocked reaction to Chow's fall.

The situation has caused a heated debate on Facebook, with people wondering who to place the blame on. Many believe that the mall is at fault. "To give an illusion that the [ledge] was concrete was a foolish thing," one commenter says. "[A] sign should have been placed there lest people attempt to retrieve fallen items. A young life gone too soon."

Others think that Chow himself is to blame, nothing that, "A glass barrier of 1.2m was [there]... the fault lies entirely on the teen himself and nobody else." Some blame what they call the "YOLO generation," where people try to one-up stunts they see on social media.

The fact of the matter is that another person is dead for trying to go viral. This has to stop.